Thursday, March 27, 2014

Amazing Civil War Atlas At KPL

The Kalamazoo Public Library local history blog recently posted an article about what looks like an amazing book for anyone interested in the Civil War.  I say amazing, though I have not had the opportunity to really look inside this volume.  However, from the few images I viewed on the website here, I will definitely be spending some time perusing an "Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies."

If you love good maps (in this case battlefield maps); photographs from the Civil War era, including buildings and soldiers; diagrams of war paraphernalia and drawings of military uniforms then you too will want to visit the Local History room and take a look.  I encourage you to follow the above link to watch the slideshow of approximately 30 images from the book.

If visiting the Kalamazoo Library is more than a a short drive for you, you'll be happy to know that I also found the book freely available at Internet Archive here.  While I will still probably look at the book at the KPL, it is nice to know that I can compile a list of the battles I am particularly interested in and the places where my soldiers were during the war and examine the maps in this book sooner rather than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment