Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Colorizing Old Photos, Part II

A few years ago I found a way to colorize old photos and posted my first attempts.  Colorizing Old Photos They were not perfect, as I will be the first to admit, but I was excited to show the potential.

I have since colorized a few more photos and would like to share the latest one here.  I think it looks much more natural than my earlier attempts.  It helps that the photo was simple and the features clearly defined. 

This is my grandmother's graduation photo from Kalamazoo Central High School in 1936.   

I encourage you to try this yourself.  It really brings the people in old photographs to life.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this . . . but now that I see the results here on your blog, I will put it on my 2017 list. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and just be patient. Just remember that you can undo one or more coloring steps if you mess up or delete an entire layer. I also, this time around, did a white layer in the whites of the eyes to mask the gray and around the teeth inside the mouth I did a tone between the lip and skin color (again to mask the gray). It looks much more natural.

    ReplyDelete